Friday, August 2, 2013

Review | Frigid

Frigid by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Review by Dana
July 2013 by Spencer Hill Contemporary
240 pages
Amazon + Good Reads

"For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. 

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. 

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one."

-Good Reads



Jennifer L. Armentrout proves that she is a jack of all trades and can write anything amazingly. This is the 10th book that I have read of hers this year and there isn't one that I haven't loved. When I saw the ebook on Amazon for .99 I knew I had to buy it and I have a nook so I read this whole book on my phone. Frigid is an awesome New Adult book that is the love story between two college age best friends. Set in the middle of a blizzard yet I read it in July. 

This is the second NA book by JLA that I have read and I enjoyed its lightness yet it did have some hints of mystery. This book also contains Jennifer witty and snarky humor. You cannot get through one of her books with out laughing out loud. This book has this fluffy yet edgy feel with slightly flawed characters. Of the books by her that I have read I would say this one is my least favorite; which is not saying that Frigid wasn't good but it didn't have that AMAZING feel that the others do. This book was also not my favorite New Adult book that I have read so far. Frigid is fast paced and addicting but it just didn't blow me away. 

I am always a sucker for the symbolic representation of the title and how it is referenced in the book. Beside the fact that it is set during a blizzard Frigid has a much more significant meaning to Sydney. A first boyfriend told her and others she was Frigid before he broke up with her just having slept with her and this novel is her realizing she isn’t!

The characters are easy to connect with and you definitely root for their relationship to work out. Sydney and Kyler can't be more different but they have been best friends since they were children.  I enjoyed that it was in both of their point of views and because they were so different their voices were great to read! Even though this is kind of a clichéd story of two best friends one a womanizer and the other pinning over him but JLA breathed new life into it. 

I would say this book is for fans if Abbi Glines and Jamie McGuire. It is wonderfully written and hysterical. It contains an edgy steamy romance yet kind of fluffy. It is a super quick read that is extremely enjoyable!  

Have you read any of Jennifer's books? Have you read this one? What did you think?

Some of my favorite quotes

“Guys are totally stupid when it comes to unrequited love. We females pine away and keep our thighs closed for the most part when we love someone we can’t have. Guys swing their shit around at anything that has a hole, trying to forget the one they want.”-Andrea

"In reality, even though I’d been with everyone else, I’d always been Syd’s." -Kyler

Did you enjoy this review? Check out Dana's blog for more by her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment